Valentines Pet Safety Tips
As Valentine’s Day fast approaches and our pets become ever more besotted by the idea of intruding on what is supposedly the most intimate day of the year, here are a few pointers to avoid any canine conundrums…
- We all know the dangers involved in giving our little four-legged friends chocolate as a treat; it causes rapid heart rate amongst many other problems, not to mention the fact that it’s incredibly poisonous. However, what many people don’t know is how especially dangerous chocolate can be once it’s baked; its toxicity levels increase enormously and will ensure that your dog ends up in an animal emergency room if he/she manages to steal a bite – so, be as careful and as vigilant as ever!
- Avoid candy at all costs, even the sugar-free stuff. Most sweets and gums contain large amounts of xylitol, a type of sweetener that’s incredibly dangerous for dogs to consume. If they do manage to get their mitts on it, it could cause vomiting, loss of coordination, seizures and in the most severe cases, liver failure.
- Flowers, in particular roses can also be very harmful to dogs, with the smallest nibble likely to cause allergic reactions such as upset stomachs and/or vomiting. The same goes for lilies, azalea, ivy and rhubarb – so don’t go leaving any Valentine’s crumble on the kitchen worktop!
- Last but certainly not least; puppies. Think long and hard about buying your loved one a puppy or a kitten as a Valentine present. Despite the initial joy at how adorable they might be, pets are a long-term responsibility that require the utmost care and attention and their adoption should not be made in haste.