Order Hotline: 01276 858880 (9:00am - 5:30pm Mon-Fri)
Surprising household dangers to doggies

Surprising household dangers to doggies

After a recent conversation in the office, we realised there are so many common household items which are proven to be poisonous or toxic to dogs. Things that you may not think about, which could potentially be lethal. Here’s our list of items to keep well away from your furry friend.

Coffee

Pets are far more sensitive to the effects of caffeine than we are. This means they are prone to caffeine poisoning. The signs of caffeine poisoning often occur around 1 – 2 hours after exposure: hyperactivity, vomiting, restlessness and tremors are the most common side effects. Treatment for this can be uncomfortable for your pet, hence why prevention is the best route to take.

 

Grapes

Grapes can cause major problems with your dog’s kidneys. They may seem like a refreshing, tasty snack for your pup, but it is really best to avoid as even a small amount can be extremely toxic. As raisins are essentially just dried grapes, so it’s best to avoid these too.

Onions

Onions are poisonous to dogs as they damage their red blood cells. Onions aren’t as toxic if eaten in small quantities (although you should definitely still avoid) if dogs eat a large amount of it could prove fatal.

 

Pest control products

Slugs and other pests are certainly very annoying. They destroy your garden and cause contamination. Pest control products like slug pellets are designed to kill pests; however, they can also kill dogs too. Slug pellets can cause seizures, and rat/mouse products often cause haemorrhages. It’s worth noting that pest-control usually comes in forms that are typically attractive to pests, but, they are also attractive to dogs.

Antifreeze products

Antifreeze is appealing to dogs as it has a sweet taste, however, it can cause fatal kidney failure. Make sure you have none lying around, and that your car’s radiator isn’t leaking. It takes as little as one tablespoon to cause kidney failure, so it’s important to stay vigilant.

 

Rubbish or mould

Mould is incredibly poisonous to dogs. Ensure any food fed to them has no mould on it, and that your pooch doesn’t go through any rubbish or bins, as mould may be present. Make sure food is kept in a safe and sealed container and wash their toys and bowls frequently. We recommend that bowls are washed at least once a day, and toys once a week, to keep them clean and mould free.

Louise Penfold

Leave a comment

Please note: comments must be approved before they are published.