Don’t egg-nore Easter hazards, warn pet experts

Don’t egg-nore Easter hazards, warn pet experts

Easter is a time for indulgence – but not for our furry friends, warn the experts at Go.Compare pet insurance. Many of the seasonal treats we love are dangerous to cats and dogs, and being aware of them could save you an expensive – and avoidable – trip to the vet.

With recent research revealing only 8 in 10 people (82%) realise chocolate is toxic for dogs*, Go.Compare have put together a list of the Easter treats you’ll want to keep out of reach from your pets:

  • Easter chocolate – contains caffeine and theobromine, which are both dangerous to cats and dogs, and can even be fatal in large quantities.
  • Hot cross buns – these contain dried fruit like currants, raisins or sultanas, which are all toxic even in very small quantities, and can even cause kidney failure.
  • Simnel cake – similarly, this classic Easter bake contains dried fruit and should be kept away from pets.
  • Cooked bones – if you are enjoying an Easter roast, avoid giving any cooked bones to your pets. Once cooked, bones become brittle and can splinter, possibly causing choking or damage if eaten.
  • Spring bulbs and flowers – many spring bulbs and blooms are toxic to dogs, including daffodils, tulips, bluebells, rhododendrons and azaleas.

Ceri McMillan, pet expert at Go.Compare, said: “A surprising number of our favourite Easter treats are a big no-no for both cats and dogs. Many people know that chocolate is toxic when ingested, but raisins and sultanas can be deadly too – and these are a key ingredient of the seasonal favourite, the hot cross bun, as well as Simnel cake. Sharing even a small amount of these sweet treats with your pets could be deadly, as they can suffer kidney failure after ingesting just a few dried fruits or grapes.

“Cooked bones are a risk too, as they are brittle and can easily splinter, potentially hurting your pet or causing them to choke. So, if you’re enjoying a leg of lamb on Easter Sunday, don’t be tempted to give the dog a bone – no matter how hard they beg.

“If you have green fingers and are getting out in the garden with the arrival of Spring, we would also recommend keeping any spring bulbs and flowers safely out of your pets’ reach. Much-loved spring blooms like daffodils and tulips are toxic when eaten by pets, and this includes the bulbs as well as the flowers and leaves."

“If you suspect your cat or dog has eaten something they shouldn’t, don’t wait until you see symptoms – call your vet and ask their advice as soon as you can. If possible, keep any packaging and write down details of what you think your pet has ingested and when, as this will help your vet decide the best course of action.

“Finally, check you have adequate pet insurance in place. Policies vary a lot in terms of the level of cover they provide, so it’s important to take the time to compare the options available. Use a comparison site to benchmark policies against each other and choose the option that suits you and your pet best.”

For more information about household dangers to your best, visit:

Alessandra Pacelli

Leave a comment

Please note: comments must be approved before they are published.